Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Why Montana?

If you're one of those people who have recently asked me this and also not received a reply, here you go (and I'm sorry I've been so bad about returning emails).



It's stunningly beautiful here.  Nothing blocks your daily sunrise and sunset, and you don't need a forecast to know what the day's weather will be like; instead, you can watch it roll in over the mountains and as the clouds pile up and darken, you can run and get your jacket!  There are real thunderstorms here.  To us kids from the West coast, a good thunderstorm is a pleasure.

The people here are different, and by different, I mean better.  (Not that my people in Seattle and Oakland aren't wonderful, but in MT the density of wonderful people is vastly higher.)  I've made friends who take me horseback riding, will teach me how to hunt elk with a gun and a bow and arrow, tan hides, can, hike, camp, and more.  There are so many placed to go peakbagging (look it up!).  I have a part-time job at Patagonia thanks to a new friend named Brad, some under the table work from a rough-and-tumble lady called Weber, and another blacksmithing apprenticeship with a master named Glen.  I have a fresh start, and the momentum to make the most of it.  If that's not enough reason to move, I don't know what is.

If you need a little more convincing though, consider all the aspects of city life I won't have to deal with: No more parking tickets or traffic, no more threat of theft, no more drive-bys at the end of my street, no sad doggies stuck in apartments, no sirens screaming in the middle of the night.  At the moment, perhaps the greatest thing is no more night skies without stars.

As they say:
Montana,
It doesn't suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment